1968 Corvette Roadster, 390 HP 427 V8, Posi, & 4-spd
Here we have an extremely well-maintained, garage-kept, numbers-matching ’68 Corvette convertible. The engine, transmission, body, and frame are all original. You will note in the pictures that the VIN and engine block stamp match, and the build date on the trim tag is 11 days after the engine casting date on the block. It received a significant refresh in 2001 which included a paint job using the correct factory paint code. It has been driven only about 6000 miles since then. It was later converted to electronic ignition and side exhaust. Aside from those two enhancements, work was always done using factory and/or premium quality, factory-correct replacement parts. It runs and drives as good as new. This car truly is a time capsule.
FEATURES & DETAILS:
- Option L36 — 427 Cubic Inch V8 Engine, 390 HP, 4-Barrel Rochester Carburator
- Option M21 — 4-Speed Close Ratio Manual Transmission
- Option G81 — Positraction Rear Axle
- Option F41 — Special Front & Rear Suspension
- Option C07 — Auxiliary Hardtop (not pictured but included)
- Option C08 — Vinyl Covering for Auxiliary Hardtop (black)
- Code 978 — International Blue Paint
- Code 414 — Medium Blue Vinyl Interior
- Vinyl Soft Top
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
- Original 15" Wheels, Beauty Rings, & Center Caps
- Cooper Cobra GTS Tires (P215/70R15 M/S)
- Stainless Steel Side Exhaust System (parts to restore to rear exhaust included)
- Complete Electronic Ignition
- Pop-Up Head-Lights
- Hide-Away Windshield Wipers
- Fiber Optic Light Monitors
- Astro Ventilation Fresh Air Circulation System
- AM/FM/Cassette Stereo System
- Owner’s Manual & Original Magazine Articles / Corvette Advertisements
- Various Spare Parts and Original Parts that were replaced
- Full Documentation, Receipts, etc for All Work Done
- Major Parts Replaced within the last 6000 Miles:
- Soft Top
- Complete Brakes (cylinders, calipers, pads, flushed system)
- Fuel Tank, Pump, and Line
- Side Mirror
- Wiper Motor, Wiper Door Motor & Pump
Indicative of the originality of the fiberglass body are the tell-tale rivet bumps that tend to form over time in front of the hood. In spite of its age, this gorgeous Corvette is incredibly easy on the eyes. You find yourself following the classic curves and drawn into the deep and electric sea of blue. The paint is extremely reflective. You can make out the details of surrounding trees and clouds in the sky. Fitting, considering that Cloud Nine is where you’ll be when driving or even gazing upon this beauty.
The serene body lines belie the beast that lurks beneath. 427 cubic inches of Tonawanda, NY big-block muscle unleash 390 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque for a driving experience that is…intense. The throaty rumble and growl of this iconic V8 is both ominous and seductive. The premium optional F41 suspension keeps body motions really tight and controlled, even by modern car standards. The superb M21 close-ratio 4-speed manual transmission and brakes work perfectly. The interior is in excellent condition, with wear you would expect for a five year-old car—not fifty.
There are few cars that offer this unlikely combination of sophistication and raw, visceral power. She’s calling—it’s time to hop in and drive…
ODOMETER: 63,928 miles (odometer stopped working about 10,000 miles ago)
The actual miles are estimated to be about 74,000. While I do not know for sure that the odometer did not “turn over” before it stopped working, based on all available information, I am inclined to think it did not.
Odometer stopped working about 10,000 miles ago.
Some small paint chips on edge of trim piece near bottom of windshield and on door jams.
A couple small spots where vinyl on driver seat separated at the seam.
Some stains on carpet behind seats.
Some wear / cracking in interior vinyl near points where top attaches.
Some cracking in bottom side window weatherstripping—mainly on passenger side.
Seat belts are a bit tight.
Clock not working.
Battery charge will drain when it sits for a week or more (source of charge leakage not known).
Heat not working—Bypassed heater coil because of a coolant leak (exact location of leak not known).
BUY WITH PEACE OF MIND!
I am the “COLLECTIBLE KING”, and I am a proud Car Nut! I love cars and trucks—especially classic, high performance, and just plain cool cars! I help people sell their cars—I am not the owner of the great car or truck you see before you. I am your eyes and ears—I personally inspect and photograph each vehicle to provide you with an honest and unbiased assessment. Not only is it fun, but I want to find that special someone who is perfect for this very special car and will love and care for it like the current owner has. I want you to be so happy with the car you buy from me that you tell your friends and family about it for years so that maybe someday they will come to me for help finding their dream car, too.