1959 Chevrolet Corvette
21 days ago
283ci V8, 4spd Manual, VIDEO
1959 Chevrolet Corvette
VIDEO WITH LISTING
283ci V8 / 4spd Manual
White / Red
Block: 3789935 (Correct for 245hp 283ci V8, date code J238)
Intake: 3739653 (Correct for 57-61 Dual Quad Corvette)
Transmission: 3851325 (Muncie 4spd for 64-65 Vette, originally a Borg Warner 4spd)
Carbs: Carter 23625 (Correct for 245hp Dual Quad)
Exhaust Manifolds: Left – 3749965 (Correct), Right – 3750556 (Correct)
Headers: 3795896 (Correct for 283 Powerpack)
Generator: Number illegible, looks to be correct with tach drive gear
- Please see the video with the listing, as the car is shown in detail. All blemishes are shown close-up. Blemishes include a handful of small chips, which have been touched up, as well as a paint crack on the driver’s front fender just above the wheel well.
- White paint presents well. It’s not quite a concours-level job, but very much a nice, respectable, driver-level finish.
- Chrome is quite good, with minimal oxidation. There are a couple very minor dings in the chrome mid-line trim, as shown in the video. Chrome hubcaps look great. The whitewalls tires, while slightly older, are not discolored or bald.
- Glass and light lenses are clear and crack-free.
- Bright red interior looks fantastic against the white exterior. Interior blemishes include a hairline crack in the dash at the base of the rearview mirror, as well as some visible wear at the passenger corner where the dash meets the top of the door.
- Correct Wonderbar radio looks great set in the dash, though not functional. Analog clock is intact, though not functional either.
- Gauges are all functional. Odometer indicates 24,322 and does tick, though we are not positive of actual, correct mileage.
- Lights and signals are all functional.
- Original seats are in extremely impressive condition. Really just one blemish to note, and that’s a tiny, tiny puncture on the driver’s seat bottom. Again, please defer to the video.
- Red carpet is in great shape, and the car will come with red, Corvette-branded floormats as well.
Underbody / Underhood:
- Casting numbers are all decoded at the beginning of this listing. Engine is a correct 283ci V8 with date code J238 (October 23rd, 1958). While the date does sound appropriate, we are not positive if original to the car or not. The car was originally optioned with a Borg Warner 4spd, and the transmission has been upgraded to a slightly later (64-65) Muncie 4spd.
- The car runs and drives extremely well. A very confidence inspiring driver. Fires right up first turn without fault, idles cool and steady, and pulls through the gears hard and with no hesitation. An impressive amount of go for a car that’s nearly 60 years old now. Shifts are nice and smooth, and the clutch feel is excellent. The car tracks nice and straight down the road, and brakes are effective, with a nice firm pedal.
- Please take a look at the underbody photos, as it’s documented in detail. Underbody looks quite good. There is one spot towards the rear of the passenger side frame rail where a previous rust repair is visible, though it looks to have been repaired properly and undercoated following the repair. That spot is visible in the underbody photos, identifiable by its flat surface, as opposed to the ridged surface of the rest of the frame rail.